Sunday, July 01, 2007

Kale and eggs--my new favorite quickie meal



I came up with this recipe yesterday when I realized, at 2 PM, I had not eaten anything substantial all day. It was a "grazing" day, where we didn't make an official breakfast or lunch, and I just wasn't hungry despite having gone for a three mile walk and mowed half the lawn in the morning. But I knew I should eat something, and there was an abundance of eggs in the refrigerator, and the kale is doing wonderfully in the garden, and I really need to eat more veggies. So I had an idea...

I melted about a tablespoon of butter in a medium skillet. If you're concerned about saturated fat, I suppose you could substitute olive oil, but butter has all those good Omega 3's, and it just tastes better! Then I threw in about five large kale leaves, cut into smaller pieces, and a couple garlic scapes, cut up. You could substitute a clove of garlic for the scapes; I just happen to have plenty of them on hand right now.

I sauteed the kale and scapes for a couple minutes, then pushed them to the edge of the skillet and cracked two eggs in the center. I let the whites set for a short time before I broke the yolks. Then I stirred everything around for a minute or less, so the yolks were still a little bit liquid. I turned off the burner, threw on a pre-grated blend of Italian cheeses, some green salsa, fresh ground pepper, and sea salt. I ate it right out of the skillet; no extra dishes that way, and no wasted paper plates!

This meal actually took less time and effort than microwaving some prepackaged lunch entree, and it tasted great! No artificial anything in it either.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ate a lot of kale when I was in Kenya. Surprisingly good.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.