Monday, November 08, 2010

kale with mushrooms and walnuts


The Hermit asked me this morning if we still had some kale in the garden. I didn't use a lot of kale this summer so I still had about half a row of White Russian kale. He wanted some for breakfast, sauteed with mushrooms and walnuts. I added bacon, onion, garlic, Parmesan cheese, and a little red wine, and the results were delicious. I also cooked fried homegrown potatoes, which I wrote about on this blog a year ago. Simple, satisfying, and largely homegrown. Here's the approximate recipe:

Fry 3-4 strips bacon. Pour off some of the grease, and add about 2 tablespoons butter to the pan (you could substitute olive oil). Chop one small to medium onion and saute in pan until slightly golden brown. Add mushrooms and one large clove of garlic, minced. Saute over low heat; you don't want the garlic to brown. Add about 1/2 cup chopped walnuts to the pan, and pour in about 1/4 cup red wine (it doesn't matter what kind; lately I like cooking with Pinot Noir but today I used Zinfandel because that's what I had). Add kale and cook until wilted. Sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese and enjoy!

No comments: